While the browsing state and local news, your Charleston child injury lawyers at Howell and Christmas, LLC came across an extremely bizarre incident involving the highly questionable and alleged action of a 17-year-old babysitter. According to reports the babysitter is alleged to have broken off a portion of a Xanax bar and administered it to the 4-year-old girl she was hired to take care of by putting the prescription drug into the child's lunch in an effort by the sitter to have the child calm down and take a nap. The sitter contacted the child's mother once the child had fallen numerous times, had hit her head, and exhibited signs of dizziness. The mother went home immediately after being contacted and found her child in "a state of potential unconsciousness."
Doctors discovered Xanax in the child's system while conducting blood work, prompting the child's mother to confront the sitter and search her purse. Found therein were five Xanax bars, which were later said to have been prescribed to a family member of the sitter.
For informational purposes, Xanax belongs to a group of drugs called benzodiazepines and works by slowing down the movement of chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced, effectively reducing nervous tension. It is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression. It is suggested that those prescribed to Xanax by a physician keep track of the amount of medicine used from each new bottle, as Xanax is a drug that is commonly abused and those prescribed should be aware if anyone is using the drug improperly or without a prescription. Because of its potential for abuse and its classification as a controlled substance, police instructed the mother mentioned above to contact the sitter's family and inform them that the drugs had been stolen and have them file a police report in regards to the theft. Understanding that the sitter is by no means a physician, the chances of the child overdosing on the drug meant only for adult use were particularly high. Thus, it is extremely fortunate that the child's reaction did not result in a wrongful death.
Because of the incident Horry County officers arrested the babysitter and charged her with unlawful neglect of a child.